MatrixMails - Get paid

Saturday, May 10, 2008

now students can't refuse the ms-office 2007

Now here's something more software companies should do. Apparently, Microsoft is offering students with an .edu address a 91 percent discount on its Ultimate Microsoft Office suite, which normally retails for $680, in order to prevent software pirating. Students can take advantage of this deal from now until May 16,2008 at www.theultimatesteal.com.

The New York Times says only students currently enrolled in at least a half-credit course are eligible. Otherwise, you have to pay the full price for the Microsoft suite that includes Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, Publisher, OneNote, Access, InfoPath, and Groove. A trial version is available if you want to test drive it before plunking down $60 for the suite, but I can already tell you this is one offer that's hard to refuse.

It's an odd time for this promotion, being the end of the semester and all, but you know it won't be long before the back to school season is here so take advantage of the low price now.

Seriously, I wish more companies would offer more deals on software to students. Pirated software in schools is a huge problem, but what's a student to do when even the student version is not cheap enough? I think Apple and Adobe should seriously consider lowering their prices on software for students. I know plenty of students who resort to pirated software because they can't afford Final Cut Pro or Photoshop which they need in order to complete the course.

All I can say is kudos to Microsoft for doing this. I just hope they bring back this offer before the fall semester.

No comments: